Governance – Mercy Education Limited
Governance Mercy Education Limited (Mercy Education) is an incorporated ministry of the Sisters of Mercy of Australia and Papua New Guinea (ISMAPNG), charged with operating all educational ministries for which the Institute has sole sponsorship. Mercy Education is one of the many works operated by the Institute throughout Australia and Papua New Guinea. Mercy Education will operate at all times as part of the mission of the Catholic Church in conformity with canon law and in strict conformity with the ethical framework of the Institute as determined by the Institute Leader and Council from time to time. ISMAPNG is involved with twelve fully sponsored schools – eight in Victoria, three in Western Australia and one in South Australia. The governance role of the Board of Mercy Education is confined to the twelve ISMAPNG sponsored schools and sets policies, approves each school’s strategic plan, appoints Principals, approves senior leadership positions and fulfils due diligence in the area of finance and audit management, capital development, risk management and litigation.
These schools are:
- Academy of Mary Immaculate, Fitzroy, VIC
- Catherine McAuley College, Bendigo, VIC
- Mercedes College, Perth, WA
- Mount Lilydale Mercy College, Lilydale, VIC
- Our Lady of Mercy College, Heidelberg, VIC
- Sacred Heart College, Geelong, VIC
- Santa Maria College, Attadale, WA
- Sacred Heart College, Kyneton, VIC
- St Aloysius College, Adelaide, SA
- St Aloysius College, North Melbourne, VIC
- St Brigid’s College, Lesmurdie, WA
- St Joseph’s College, Mildura, VIC
Mercy Education is the Employer of the Principal and staff of the Mercy colleges. The existence of Mercy Education gives strength, support and solidarity to each of the member Mercy schools and its community.
Sacred Heart College Governance
Members of the Sacred Heart College Council for 2020 comprise:
Sr Madeline Duckett rsm
Chairperson: Mr Paul Strang
Deputy Chairperson: Mr Jonathan Wheeler
Dr Darren Egberts (Principal)
Mrs Debra McNaughton (Deputy Principal) – Semester Two
Ms Julie Mortimer (Deputy Principal) – Semester One
Mr Matthew Stewart
Mr David De Grandi
Mr Tim Walsh
Minute Secretary: Mr Ian Mills (Director of Business)
Mercy Board Representative: Cathy Jenkins
College Advisory Councils
The College Advisory Council provides advice and support to the Principal and the Staff of the College. Members of the College Council are valued for their wisdom and the contribution they make to the functioning of the College and work together to ensure that the Mercy Ethos underpins the life of the College.
The purposes of the Council are as follows:-
- To act as a consultative Council for the College and the Principal in the provision of Catholic education.
- To promote the Mercy ethos and to ensure the charism is alive and central to all deliberations.
- To assist the Principal and staff in policy making, including the formulation of foundational documents.
- To assist in the preparation of the College budget and to recommend its adoption.
- To provide advice concerning the financial administration of the College.
This could include supporting the Principal with fund raising activities organised by auxiliary bodies associated with the College.
- To give such practical support to the College as required in matters such as capital development, the maintenance of College facilities and equipment.
- To take part in the strategic planning for the future operations of the College.
- To assist generally in developing relationships both within the College community and between the College and the wider community.
- To facilitate the welcome of parents and children new to the College.
- To develop strategies for the local promotion of Catholic education.
- To provide advice according to members expertise.
Membership of Council
4.1 The Council shall consist of no fewer than seven (7) and no more than twelve (12) members comprising the following:-
- The Principal;
- No fewer than six (6) and no more than eleven (11) persons appointed by the Principal, some of whom shall be parents of current students of the College. For full details please follow the link below to the Constitution for College Advisory Councils.